Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Layoff




What a scary word. This one word has struck fear into the hearts of the strongest among us. This week was my turn to cringe in fear of this infamous word. The small organization I have been a part of for the past five years has suffered some mighty blows recently. So it doesn't really come as a surprise that some "restructuring" is in order.


After suffering the loss of two wonderful coworkers this week, we all met together as a corporate family. As I looked around the conference room I saw faces of dear friends that I've grown to love over the years. My heart ached at the anticipation of the bad news to come. And with stoic resolve our valiant leaders stood before us and gave the news. As our industry changes so shall we. They shed such a positive light on our organizations position. I was highly encouraged to see what the future holds for this small family.


As we prepare for our individual evaluations I am at peace. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future...". These are the words I hold onto today. Not only for me personally but for my fellow coworkers and our organization. I know that with the loss of each member of this family we will all suffer a blow. But I know that God has us in his hands. We are a part of his plan and good will prevail. So for the friends we've lost so far, and those that will find out in the near future, my prayers go out to them. But my prayers are not for sympathy or tears. They are a prayer of rejoicing and praise. For I know each person in headed to better things.


I am excited to see where the Lord's will is for me. Is it here, or elsewhere? I remember the phone call for the job offer in this organization. It was one of the first times in my young Christian walk that God showed me his "burning bush". I ask for that burning bush often, and I'm always humbled when I open my eyes and see that he has always been there, but I was being stubborn and chose blindness. So when he gave me this position, I remember being so thrilled to see God's mighty work in my little life. At the time, I wasn't even looking for a job, but God sweetly handed me his assignment and I was open and ready to receive it. It's been five years and I cannot count how many times I've questioned why I'm here in this organization. Every time the Lord reminds me that this is his plan, not mine. So I sit and watch his mighty hand at work. So yet again, I sit and I wait. I am watching, and I am excited regardless of the outcome.


So today, I'm excited to see what his plan is, and how he will choose to work out the details of that plan in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment