Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Parenting Antics and Perspective

I have to share our latest parenting fiasco. Yes, it was quite a hilarious attempt at "good parenting". The great part it, I think it actually may have worked.

So my sweet 9 year old daughter has developed the typical, horrid, preteen attitude. Complete with eye rolling, foot stomping and the valley girl, "I'm SO much better than you" tone of voice. URGH!!! Okay, I must make this confession. I was just like that, and I hated my mom telling me I had a bad attitude, when I felt just fine.... (and I wonder where she gets it).

So I used my childhood experiences and my husband and I decided to demonstrate what her behavior looked like. We explained what nonverbal communication is and how it can effect the message you are trying to portray.

We started in the living room with her sitting in a chair in the middle of the floor. (always a bit intimidating, but keeps their attention a bit longer). Then my sweet prince asked her "how do you think I feel right now?". Her response was that she didn't know, but we must not be happy. Then my sweet grinned from ear to ear and asked the same question. She was getting it, by jove. She knew dad must be happy and was laughing at his silly grin.

Then he asked her with his meanest, scary daddy face and gruff voice the same question. And just that fast we saw the meltdown. Complete with tears, shaking, trembling and OH NO!!! written all over her sweet face. I couldn't help it, I had to laugh. I know it was so wrong, but oh my she was so funny. I couldn't believe how fast she went from laughing to crying. Unfortunately my sweet caught my laughing, so there went his great perception.

Needless to say, it took us some time to quite her back down. And she also laughed at herself in the end. The point was made and now we wait and watch. After one week, I must admit, there is some improvement. At least the eye rolling has been unseen so far. We'll keep praying and thank the Lord for humor in teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment